Northeast Ohio’s “Wildest” holiday tradition, Candy Land has gone WILD!, returns to thrill visitors another year! Visitors become game pieces on the life-sized game board designed like the iconic board game CANDY LAND. As they draw cards and move along the board from space to space, they will embark on a journey through an enchanted display and discover nature’s gifts throughout the seasons.
Candy Land has gone Wild! is free for everyone! The game is played inside the Nature Center at Penitentiary Glen Reservation. Hours the game is open are noon to 5:00 p.m. daily November 17th through January 1, 2019, with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve when the exhibit is closed.
Continue your adventure with hands-on activities both indoors and out.
- Enjoy scavenger hunts, an all-new s’more-nament craft and seasonal activity pages.
- Reminisce with vintage holiday and Mr. Jingeling memorabilia from the Halle Department Store era. Historical note: The property and Nature Center building were once part of the Halle family summer home and working farm.
- Sit, relax and enjoy hot beverages in Snowshoe Lodge.
- Check out The Nature Store for great nature-and-wildlife-inspired holiday gift ideas. Snacks and beverages also available for purchase.
- Watch and listen for wildlife at the bird feeders in the Nature Center’s Window on Wildlife.
- Visit the Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center to learn about and meet native Ohio wildlife up close, including an opossum, a bald eagle and other birds of prey.
- Explore more than 8.5 miles of hiking trails; open year round.
Take an adventurous walk through the park on snowshoes (rentals available through the season with at least 4” of snow and as weather permits).
Join us for these special free activities on weekends:
- Train rides 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. December 1st (weather permitting)
- Saturday Campfires with s’mores: 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Saturday animal chats: 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday wildlife keeper chats: 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Candy Land has gone Wild! is sponsored by Hathaway Brown School.
Penitentiary Glen Reservation is located at 8668 Kirtland-Chardon Rd. in Kirtland, OH 44094. For more information about Candy Land Has Gone Wild! Visit Lake Metroparks or call 440-256-1404
Cover Photo Courtesy of Lake Metroparks