While there are many fun fall and Halloween activities happening around town, Halloween can also bring about feelings of fear. First Church, Congregational, on the Square in Downtown Painesville, welcomes the community to discover how we might deal with fear as a people of faith, with the help of the Holy Spirit, in its sermon series beginning on October 7th.
Rev. Tom Cofer, senior pastor at First Church Congregational said, “While Halloween is a time of fun, there are genuine fears that we face. We will look at different aspects of fear and how God is calling us to respond to it in faith.”
- Sunday, October 7th: “The Fear of Failure.” Scripture Text: 2 Corinthians 4:7-18. We will be encouraged and reminded that even though we have times when we fail, we are not to be afraid, because God is always with us and our faith gives us strength.
- Sunday, October 14th: “The Fear of Loneliness.” Scripture Text: 2 Timothy 4:9-21. Even if we are surrounded by people, we can have times where we feel alone and possibly deserted.
- Sunday, October 21st: “The Fear of the Future.” Scripture Text: Matthew 6:34. Planning for the future is important, but we can’t let it consume us, and distract us from living in the present moment.
- Sunday, October 28th: “The Fear of the Suffering.” Scripture Text: 2 Corinthians 12:1-10. We will look at the fear of suffering from the aspect of our faith, and trust that there is hope to be found in Christ.
- Sunday, November 4th: “The Fear of Death.” Scripture Text: Hebrews 9:27-28. Our faith reminds us that death is not the end, but it marks our passage from this world into the next, and it is a continuation of eternal life in Christ.
- Sunday, November 11th: “The Fear of God.” Scripture Text: Proverbs 1:7. What does the fear of God mean? Is there something more that what the statement says on the surface?
First Church Congregational is located at 22 Liberty Street, Painesville. For information, contact the church office 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at 440-357-7518 or email Debra Ethan, [email protected].
About First Church, Congregational
For 208 years First Church, Congregational, on the Square in Downtown Painesville, has welcomed the community through its doors for spiritual support and guidance. First Church is the oldest congregation in Lake County, dating back to 1810 during the presidency of James Madison. For directions and other First Church Congregational information on services visit First Church Congregational.
It looks like you enjoyed this post! Want more local news? Enter your email below: