During the month of September, First Church, Congregational, on the Square in Downtown Painesville, welcomes the community to join in its sermon series on the book of Philippians and then a special “Grudge Report” sermon series beginning on Sunday, September 16th.
Rev. Tom Cofer, senior pastor at First Church Congregational said, “The book of Philippians encourages us to Rejoice – Rejoice in Jesus, his grace and forgiveness. As Christians we have the challenge of forgiving others and of living in community. We will explore what it means to be forgiven by God and how we can become better Christians through our own forgiveness.”
The “Grudge Report” will be a three week sermon series on forgiveness. We will also explore what it means to be forgiven by God. This sermon series will focus on the story of Mephibosheth in 2 Samuel 4-9. Never heard of Mephibosheth? Come and find out who he was as we explore the topic of forgiveness.
- Sunday, September 2nd: “Rejoicing in Jesus Alone.” Scripture Text: Philippians 3:1-4:1. We are reminded in this scripture text that we are called to rejoice in trusting God, and in the grace that God gives.
- Sunday, September 9th: “Always Rejoicing.” Scripture Text: Philippians 4:2-23. This week, we will talk about the “peace that passes all understanding” that comes from God and allows us to rejoice. We are reminded that as Paul said in Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
- Sunday, September 16th: “When Someone Drops You.” How do we as Christians forgive others, especially when we have been wronged by someone?
- Sunday, September 23rd: “When You Need Forgiveness.” It can be difficult to act or face the fact that we too need forgiveness, but it is an essential part of our faith and one that God offers to all of us.
- Sunday, September 30th: “Letting Go of Past Hurts.” It can be difficult to let go of people and things that have hurt us in the past, or grudges.
First Church Congregational is located at 22 Liberty Street, Painesville. For information, contact the church at 440-357-7518 or email Christy Duffus, [email protected].
About First Church, Congregational
For 208 years First Church, Congregational, on the Square in Downtown Painesville, has welcomed the community through its doors for spiritual support and guidance. First Church is the oldest congregation in Lake County, dating back to 1810 during the presidency of James Madison. For directions and other First Church Congregational information on services visit First Church Congregational.
It looks like you enjoyed this post! Want more local news? Enter your email below: