Each year during Lent, First Church, Congregational in Downtown Painesville has special Lent programs and studies on Wednesday evenings. A full eight-week schedule follows. All sessions take place at 7:00 p.m. at the church.
“Lent is traditionally a time where we engage in more reflection and discernment regarding our faith. All are invited to join us as we engage in reflection, learning, and fellowship,” says Rev. Tom Cofer, senior pastor at First Church Congregational.
- Wednesday, February 21st: First Church member Karen Turner will give a presentation on her recent medical mission trip to Uganda in the Church Social Room. Entitled “Africa Perspective and Reflections,” she will discuss her experience living out the gospel on her trip with all of the people she was able to help. She worked with adults and children in Uganda related to the ear, nose and throat specialty area.
Turner, a member of the church and a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) for 28 years in the Cleveland and Lake County area. Works with a group connected to Lake Health. She went with a medical mission group to Uganda and has been on 2 medical mission trips.
- Wednesday, February 28th: Worship and Scripture Study: Joshua 5:2-12. “We are invited to become ever more aware of God’s provision for our lives, and always remember to give thanks to God who is the source of all that we have,” according to Rev. Cofer.
- Wednesday, March 7th: Worship and Scripture Study: Luke 4:1-13. In this season of Lent we are invited to embrace an intentional way of life…we follow the example of Jesus who was “led by the Spirit in the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil.”
- Wednesday, March 14th: Worship and Scripture Study: Joel 2:1-2, 12-17. All creation comes from the hand of the same Creator and from the same particles of energy. The universe is truly one and connected within all its parts. We will see how we are connected to Christians around the world and to brothers and sisters of other faiths. When our hearts are broken and vulnerable, we can return to the Lord.
- Wednesday, March 21st: Worship and Scripture Study; Acts 11:1-12. God enables ordinary people to be witnesses to the gospel. God chooses ordinary people to do extraordinary things in the service of God’s kingdom. Peter, an ordinary person, came to the conclusion that God did not intend to exclude anyone from the community of God’s care.
First Church Congregational is located at 22 Liberty Ave, Painesville. For information, contact the church at 440-357-7518 or email Christy Duffus, [email protected]. Or go the website for directions and other First Church Congregational information, First Church Congregational.
It looks like you enjoyed this post! Want more local news? Enter your email below: