“Gratitude” is the November sermon topic at First Church, Congregational, on the Square in Downtown Painesville. Having focused on “The Politics of Jesus” during October, Rev. Tom Cofer explores the importance of gratitude. Services are at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., each Sunday in November.
“November is when we celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving, and we are often reminded about giving thanks to God, and people and other blessings that we are thankful for,” Rev Cofer says. “All month, we will focus our worship services around gratitude, and why it is so important for us to live with a spirit of gratitude as a people of faith.” All are welcome to attend services:
- November 5th: “Attitude is Everything”
- November 12: “Thankful for the Saints”
- November 19: “Gratitude for God’s Grace”
- November 26: “Generosity from Gratitude”
First Church Congregational is located at 22 Liberty Ave, Painesville. For information, contact the church at 440-357-7518 or email Christy Duffus, [email protected]. Or go the website for directions and other First Church Congregational information, First Church Congregational.
Throughout November, Rev. Cofer will focus on scriptures relevant to gratitude:
- November 5th: “Attitude is Everything” Scripture: Deuteronomy 8:10-18; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. Are we ready to be thankful, that is, do we approach things with the right attitude? There is always an opportunity to live in gratitude, even when the circumstances don’t seem to promote it. We will look at why gratitude matters.
- November 12th: “Thankful for the Saints” Scripture: Psalm 78:1-7; Hebrews 12:1-3. How often do we tell one another, in some way, that we are thankful for them. This week, we will look at how important it is to express gratitude to one another and giving thanks for those who have gone before us, and, how this gratitude continues to inspire us to live out our faith.
- November 19th: “Gratitude for God’s Grace” Scripture: Luke 17:11-19. In the story of Jesus healing ten men with leprosy, we see how important it is to be thankful for God’s grace, and how important God’s grace is in our lives.
- November 26th: “Generosity from Gratitude” Scripture: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15. True gratitude inspires generosity, and generosity opens us up to more of a sense of abundant life. This week, we will see how gratitude moves us to offer more of ourselves to God and to others in God’s name, and how that can bring us new life.
It looks like you enjoyed this post! Want more local news? Enter your email below: