First Church, Congregational, in Painesville, will host a 2018 Advent Study Program and Sermon Series based on “The Gift of the Nutcracker,” the classic book and video by Matt Rawle. It will be the theme for studies and sermons, beginning November 29 and continuing Thursdays and Sundays through a Christmas Eve Service.
Leading discussions on Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. and delivering his sermon series at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Sundays will be Senior Pastor Tom Cofer. “No question, the Christ Child is the most extraordinary gift of all time, and Matt Rawle uses this iconic tale to convey that message,” says Rev. Cofer.
- Thursday Evening Advent Study, November 29th: “The Gift of the Nutcracker”, 7:00 p.m., North Room.
- Sunday Worship, December 2nd – “Setting the Stage” Scripture Lessons: Jeremiah 33:14-16, Luke 1:30-33, Romans 8:22. What is it we are waiting for during Advent? We will focus on Christ’s work that is still coming to fruition.
- Thursday Evening Advent Study, December 6th: “The Gift of the Nutcracker”, 7:00 p.m., North Room.
- Sunday Worship, December 9th – “God the Father’s Love” Scripture Lessons: Genesis 1:1-4, Isaiah 40:1-5, Luke 1:34-38 God desires to welcome us into His kingdom and offers us everything we need to welcome Christ into our lives.
- Thursday Evening Advent Study, December 13th: “The Gift of the Nutcracker”, 7:00 p.m., North Room.
- Sunday, December 16th – Children’s Christmas Service/Program in the Sanctuary and “A Journey to Bethlehem” in the Social Room from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Thursday Evening Advent Study, December 20th: “The Gift of the Nutcracker”, 7:00 p.m., North Room.
- Sunday Worship, December 23rd – “Mountains and Mole Hills” Scripture Lessons: Isaiah 53:4-5a & 8a, Luke 3:1-6 Because we all look at the world through our own individual eyes, what may seem minor to some may be overwhelming to others. We will examine why this is.
- Christmas Eve Worship, December 24th – “Joyful All Ye Nations Rise” Scripture Lessons: Psalm 137, Luke 2:10 Join us as we celebrate the birth of Christ with music and lessons! 9:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary.
“Remember,” Rev. Cofer says, “No matter who you are or where you are on your life’s journey, you are welcome at First Church Congregational.”
First Church Congregational is located at 22 Liberty Street, Painesville. For information, contact the church 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at 440-357-7518 or email Debra Ethan, [email protected].
About First Church, Congregational
For 208 years First Church, Congregational, on the Square in Downtown Painesville, has welcomed the community through its doors for spiritual support and guidance. First Church is the oldest congregation in Lake County, dating back to 1810 during the presidency of James Madison. For directions and other First Church Congregational information on services visit First Church Congregational.