Imbolo Mbue, author of the critically acclaimed Behold the Dreamers, will be the keynote speaker for the second Northcoast Writers’ Showcase Saturday, April 13th, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., at Lakeland Community College in Kirtland.
Mbue’s keynote will cap a day in which readers and aspiring writers can interact with dozens of published authors, ask questions about their writing journey, and attend workshops about the craft of writing. Breakout sessions begin at 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Breakout leaders and topics:
- Deanna Adams: The pleasures, perils, & perseverance of being a writer “Cleveland’s Rock & Roll Roots” and “The Writer’s GPS”
- Rachele Alpine: Active writing workshop “Canary” and “You Throw Like a Girl”
- Sara Dobie Bauer: Building an online persona “Bite Somebody”
- Alan Dutka: Picking the perfect publisher “Cleveland in the Gilded Age”
- David Giffels: A basic guide to getting published “Furnishing Eternity” and “The Hard Way on Purpose”
- Mindy McGinnis: How to write for the teen market “Not a Drop to Drink” and “Heroine”
- Claire McMillan: The first glimpse scene “The Necklace”
- J. Thorn: Understanding Amazon.com “Dustfall” and “Final Awakening” series
Other participating authors and publishers include:
- “Funky Winkerbean” writer and illustrator Tom Batiuk
- Gail Ghetia Bellamy (“Cleveland Food Memories”)
- James Renner (“True Crime Addict” and “It Came from Ohio”)
- Terri Libenson (“The Pajama Diaries” and “Invisible Emmie”)
- Thomas Zahler (“Love & Capes” and “My Little Pony” comics)
- Dave Lange (“Virginity Lost in Vietnam”)
- Leslie Basalla-McCafferty (“Cleveland Beer: History & Revival in the Rust Belt”)
- Tom Matowitz (“Cleveland’s Legacy of Flight” and “Cleveland Metroparks”)
- Carlo Wolff (“Cleveland Rock & Roll Memories”)
- Lindsay Ward (“Dexter T. Rexter” picture books and “When Blue Met Egg”)
- Mike and Janice Olszewski (“Cleveland TV Tales”)
- Susan Petrone (“Throw Like a Woman”)
- Catherine Pomeroy (“The Gulch Jumpers”)
- James Sulecki (“The Cleveland Rams”)
- Marty Gitlin (“A Celebration of Animation” and “The Great American Cereal Book”)
- Ron Hill (“Edutoons”)
- Belt Publishing
- Literary Cleveland
The showcase begins at 11:00 a.m. in Lakeland’s H-Building. Authors will have their books available for sale and signing.
Mbue’s talk begins at 3:00 p.m. at the Dr. Wayne L. Rodehorst Performing Arts Center in Lakeland. She will be available for book signing and photo opportunities following her presentation.
Both the showcase and Mbue’s keynote address are free to attend and open to all. People can register for Mbue’s talk at League of Libraries.
The Northcoast Writers’ Showcase is hosted by the Lake-Geauga League of Libraries, a group of 12 libraries in Lake and Geauga County that have partnered to promote the arts, creativity and enthusiasm for learning in the region.
The Lake-Geauga League of Libraries includes Burton, Fairport Harbor, Geauga County, Kirtland, Lake Erie College, Lakeland Community College, Madison, Mentor, Morley, Perry, Wickliffe and Willoughby-Eastlake library systems.
The showcase is funded by the collective generosity of the library’s foundations, friends groups, The Lubrizol Corporation and Lake County Visitors Bureau. Learn more at League of Libraries.
Pictured In Cover Photo: Imbolo Mbue, photo credit, Kiriko Sano