With the fluctuation of summer gas prices and need to weaken our dependence of foreign oil, Laketran is holding its 15th Annual Dump the Pump Day on Thursday, June 20th. The local Dump the Pump event will be held at City of Painesville’s Veterans Park alongside the Painesville Farmers Market. Laketran, in partnership with the City of Painesville, and WKKY radio will encourage people to “Dump the Pump” to see the benefits of using public transportation and biking. “Anyone can participate by simply reducing your amount of automobile trips that day by carpooling, taking transit or trying healthier transportation options like walking or riding a bike to get where you need to go,” explains Laketran’s spokesperson, Kerry Jonke who is coordinating the event for Laketran. “We just want people to think about alternatives to getting in their car.”
Laketran encourages the community to stop out at the event to learn about their new EZfare app. EZfare is a new mobile app that allows transit riders the opportunity to pay their bus fare with their smartphone eliminating the need to carry cash, have exact change or pre-paid bus passes.
Anyone who rides Laketran on June 20 to the event and has downloaded the EZfare app will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win a $50 bus pass for the app.
- WHAT: Laketran’s Annual Dump the Pump Celebration
- WHEN: Thursday, June 20th from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- WHERE: City of Painesville’s Farmers Market (Veterans Park/Painesville Square)
- ACCESS: Laketran Routes 1 from Mentor, Route 4 from Madison, Route 5 Fairport Harbor/Painesville, or Dial-a-Ride transportation
- WHY: To highlight public transportation, biking and walking as a travel option that save you money and helps the environment